Leonard P. Ayres, in A Measuring Scale for Ability in Spelling, published by the Russell Sage Foundation of New York City, listed the most common 1000 words in the English language. The next four lessons will give the notescript for the 100 commonest words from this list. These account for 60% of the words in English.
- I have it now.
- Take your dog to the door.
- You have what it takes to succeed.
- You are that one who is free.
- What have you done with it?
- Why are you with your parents?
- It is not we who are of the earth.
- The words of and and are short.
- For the love of your ideals you do the right thing.
- We will not take your hat with us.
- I have a yen to go to a store.
Before you do the sentences, write the 22 words down in any order. Practice writing the notescript for them until you are able to do so without error. Then, practice with the sentences. Cover the answers so you can't see them as you work.