If you come here regularly, you'll know that I can tend toward the abstract and quietly upbeat, so today I thought I would be a little more practical and give some concrete tips on how to make yourself (and as a bonus, those around you), completely and utterly miserable.
- Spend an hour every morning remembering the mistakes you've made. This is a great way to color your entire day.
- When something good happens to you, take a few minutes to think of everything that can go wrong. This one is quite effective at killing any pleasure you feel, as well as preventing you from pursuing further success.
- Be envious. Envy of others' happiness and success is a proven way to give a negative cast to your whole life. Just as you should begin the day with tip #1, end the day with envy. This will help ensure you sleep poorly so you have a headstart on #1.
- Do what everyone else is doing. This relieves you of the responsibility for originality and creativity. Over time and with work, you can also forget who you are and what you really want out of life.
- Be jealous Thinking about everything your wife or girlfriend is doing when she goes out without you is a great way to be miserable.If you really want to make this effective, as soon as she gets home start accusing her of everything you thought about her doing. You get to kill two birds at once; you can be miserable and you can end a relationship, guaranteeing future misery.
This list is by no means complete, though I can tell you these tactics are effective. Each and every one of us finds new and unique ways to make ourselves miserable every day. The professionals have even learned how to combine the tactics in strategies that can take a lifetime to unravel. So what are your favorite ways to make yourself miserable?